Saturday, October 07, 2006

otherwise engaged

I finally got an issue of the Virginia Quarterly Review today. I subscribed a couple weeks back, but happened to be wandering through a shop that stocks it.
I don't read nearly enough magazines and I'm afraid that includes literary journals. There are a few that I keep up with for the purposes of staying on top of reviews, but that's about it.
I've been hearing so much gushing from others that know from quality and VQR cleaned up at the National Magazine Awards recently.
I've been stumbling across a lot of twaddle recently that suggests that patronizing indie bookstores is the act of a poseur who wants to appear smarter or literate or some such nonsense.
Bullshit.
I'm going to patronize the Virginia Quarterly because I know it will make me smarter.

Posted by Dave

1 comment:

Mama Squirrel said...

I'm a poseur because I shop at your store and order books through you?

No, I just want to do my piddly little bit to make sure you stay around. There aren't enough bookstores in K-W as it is. Really pathetic, but I guess all the better for you since I'd rather shop at Wordsworth than at the mega-store. Besides, the the staff cops there won't even let my kids go into the next aisle without me.

And I didn't get paid to say that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails