Tuesday, April 03, 2007

learning to crawl

I don't know why articles like this are a surprise.
The summary is basically, good bright high schoolers are turned off the existing reading lists and will read if given material relevant to them. Further, letting a little modern air into the curriculum "can add the kind of engaging and relevant content that high school reform advocates have been calling for."
Shocking, I know.
Fears that a little modern fare alongside Shakespeare will dumb down the content miss the point if high school readers struggle to find a way in to the second tier stuff, and give up.
A bit of dark materials, as it were, can work really well.
I had the great good fortune to move seamlessly from heavy metal to Susan Musgrave poetry at sixteen because to my young mind, they were just complimentary lyrics in a lot of ways. Very shortly after, the metal music left, poetry stayed and...well I'm still a general disappointment, but reading pretty well.
Often to the detriment of my few precarious relationships, sleep patterns, my social skills. Okay, moving on.

Posted by Dave (link via Goodreports)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails