Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's the paper that covers books

Much from the Guardian in the last couple days.
In short, the Bookers shortlisted author Indra Sinha is profiled trying to put the Bhopal tragedy into a novel.

"All this Sinha set out to oppose, first as an activist, now as a novelist, but no longer as an adman. He gave up advertising in 1995, on his 45th birthday. "I decided I just had to resign," he says. "I didn't have anything to write with. I found this pencil and scrawled a resignation note, then read it to [his wife] Vickie over the phone, and said, 'Shall I hand this in?' I said, 'I've got nothing to go to, and we're going to have a catastrophic drop in income,' and she said, 'Well, you're not happy, we'll manage, we'll be all right,' for which I've always been extremely grateful.'

Wait, writing a novel means a drop in income? Not if you've had some work done.
Nicholas Lezzard is on the money here, but I've no idea what to do about it.
There will always be airplane books, but I've recently looked at a bunch of bestseller data in Canada and you could run a bookshop with about two hundred titles some weeks.

Please visit some of my cool friends. They'd love to see you.

Posted by Dave

1 comment:

Quentin Syzygy said...

Apropos "had some work done", have a look at the Jordan vs Animal interview on www.khaufpur.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails