Monday, September 10, 2007

maybe change your name to Oliver

I'm sure I've come across as bitter before, but this is really over the top.
Peter Sacks has written a book that everyone better buy or he's going to come to your house and read it to you by force. Then he'll end up on your roof with a weapon.

"Oh, by the way. I use big words sometimes and what some might call obscure literary references. I occasionally write in complex sentences, too. Maybe that's part of my problem. I refuse to dumb it down, and I'll persist in the belief, until the day I give up writing altogether, that readers are smart, that Americans want to read, and that they have attention spans of more than 30 seconds. But don't tell that to Amazon. Recently, the online bookseller installed a new feature on its website, presumably to allow its more anti-intellectual customers to keep their book purchases to a 6th grade reading level."
Sir, your book is from the University of California Press. They're a fine publishing house but rarely on the best seller list. You knew that going in, right?
And if you're pissed off about Amazon that's great, but it's hard to square using their link when flogging your book.
(see comments at the bottom of Huffington Post article)



Posted by Dave

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails