Thursday, June 25, 2009

Genesis by Bernard Beckett


I ate it up. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.
The story happens in only 5 hours, the alloted time The Academy gives potential recruits for their examination. Anax, obsessed with her society's founder and hero Adam Forde and intent on entering The Academy, begins her exam answering questions about the beginning of the Last War and the raising of the great sea wall.

I don't want to say anything more about the plot as it unhatches in a deeply satisfying way as you read. And it has a terrific ending. Genesis would be considered Science Fiction (it has connections to I, Robot), but I see it as literary dystopian in the tradition of We, Brave New World or 1984. Genesis is a very smart, cerebral, and philosophical story about the not so distant future. And it blows me away that it is considered Young Adult/Teen. I really encourage ANYONE who wants a smart read with an unforeseen ending to pick up this book.

Some people have compared it to The Road, which I haven't read. Maybe I should pick it up (Dave! will you read The Watchmen if I read The Road!?).

I would compare Genesis with How I Live Now in its integrity and supreme awesomeness of story.

Mandy

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails