Sunday, October 04, 2009

Roman Polanski

The to and fro around this doesn't seem to be going away.
Anyone who wants to can get the parameters of the case in a few keystrokes, but Salon has it right.
Roman Polanski raped a child, and unless we're going to judge artists/entertainers differently than the rest of the world, then Polanski should stand trial.
Although it's been distressing to see elements of Hollywood defend Polanski because he made some movies and is seen as excellent dinner guest, he raped a child.
I could care less what most celebrities have to say about much, but when Salman Rushdie and Paul Auster sign a petition in Polanski's defense, that stings a bit.
I'm a huge fan of the work of wife, Siri Hustvedt, and I haven't read a Rushdie novel in years, but I guess I just naively thought that premier novelists were across the board better than that.

One must keep perspective, so for the rest of the day, I'm switching my allegiance to Chris Rock.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who said Rusdie was a good novelist? He is a mediocre writer who received notoriety for political reasons

Related Posts with Thumbnails