Friday, January 29, 2010

Temple Grandin TV?


I'm fascinated by Temple Grandin. I read Thinking in Pictures awhile ago and was impressed by this lady who grew up at a time when Autism was treated with lifetime institutionalization, seen as a product of poor parentage and/or parenting. Despite never really knowing what was "wrong" with her, why she moved through the world the way she did, Temple adjusted along the way. I remember passages about her sensitivities with being hugged or even touched by people, even her mother, which seemed to send loved ones even farther away from her. Her life seemed so lonely and confused, and yet she never shortchanged herself.

On February 6th HBO is airing a TV biopic of Temple's life, starring Claire Danes, who looks uncannily like Temple in the role. I'm looking forward to seeing it and I'm also thinking of re-reading Thinking in Pictures and Animals in Translation, books that still have my attention years later.

Here's the trailer for the movie:



Mandy

1 comment:

Chuck Erion said...

I agree that Grandin in a fascinating character. She has had a huge impact on the slaughterhouse design, thanks to her intuition into how animals experience the world.I only wish that HBO was more accessible. Hopefully the DVD will be available in the future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails