Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Full-on Hilariousness!


In Amish culture there is a phenomenon called Rumspringa, where Amish adolescents are permitted to break free from their modest and traditional lifestyles to indulge in taboo activities. This is the story of Rupinder's Rumspringa (or as she calls it "Ram-singa") at the age of 30. Rupinder leads us through her hilarious journey to experience all the parts of her childhood that she feels she missed: summer camp, swimming and dance lessons, trips to Disney World and more.

"I am 30 years old. I wore my hair in two braids every day until I was 12. I dressed more conservatively than most Amish, barely left my house until I was 18 and spent the last 12 years studying and working hard on my career like a good little Indian girl. The time has come; you are witness to the dawning of my Indian Rumspringa, a Ram-Singha if you will. But instead of smoking and drinking Bud Lights in a park while yelling 'Down with barn raising!' I plan to indulge in a different manner — by pursuing everything I wish had been a part of my youth."

This is the story of the ultimate New Year's resolution, more akin to a new life resolution and walk down memory-less lane. The results are hilariously funny. If you need a laugh and want something light, yet intelligent, pick this one up! And Rupinder is doing an event with us on April 26th - check our website for more details www.wordsworthbooks.com - Bronwyn

TO WIN A HARDCOVER COPY OF "ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING INDIAN", PLEASE EMAIL BRONWYN (bronwyn@wordsworthbooks.com).
CONTEST CLOSES ON APRIL 15TH AT 4PM.

APRIL 15TH: THE CONTEST HAS NOW CLOSED, THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ENTERED. IF YOU ARE THE WINNER, YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails