Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'm a sucker for good-looking cookbooks...


I'm a sucker for good looking (vegetarian) cookbooks. I wouldn't consider myself a foodie, but looking through a glossy cookbook is an inspiring thing to do. Since bringing this gem home in November, my family and I have not been disappointed. We regularly gather around on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings to pick out which recipes we want to try in the coming week while Daddy prepares the grocery list.

Even though the rest of my family are not veggies, we eat vegetarian meals most nights. My kids complained about the lack of meat on their plates until we started making recipes from this Canadian Living collection. They adore Meatless Polpette in Tomato Sauce, Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecan Topping, Thai Green Curry with Tofu & Vegetables, and Eggplant Gnocchi with Brown Butter & Pine Nut Sauce. However our all-time favourite so far (we have only cooked through half of the cookbook) is Vegetable Lentil Gardner's Pie.
It is hands-down the best comfort food I have ever tasted and I crave it regularly - probably part of the reason that we have only cooked through half the cookbook! See page 35 for the recipe and mouth-watering picture.

And for the foodies out there: ingredients featured are easy to obtain (Eating Well if you can't find it at the grocery store), length of cooking time featured is accurate for the most part (though the gnocchi takes some time if you haven't made it before) and most recipes are easy enough to whip up - even the time consuming ones. Trust me, your tummy will thank you for the extra steps!
- Bronwyn

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails