Sunday, January 28, 2007

R.I.P Lorne "Gump" Worsley

I honestly don't know if we're related, but I told people we were when I was growing up.
At any rate, my father and brother were both goalies in their day, so there's got to be something of the family business in this.
Sad day, kinda.
From the obit.
Former teammate Gilles "Tremblay recalled a teammate who always had a smile and a joke in the dressing room and who was "very well liked all through the league.
"He'd walk through the room past guys with perfect builds and he'd say, `I've been in the league a lot of years with this belly, so I hope you guys can do as well as I did.' He always made us laugh," Tremblay said.
Worsley's physique moved Rangers coach Phil Watson to tell him, "You can't play goal with a beer belly." Worsley shot back: "I'm strictly a rye man.""
I'm pretty sure we're related.
Lamentably out of print, but he put together a decent biography, too.

Posted by Dave

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails