Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Take that Pulitzer Prize winner

It's one thing to dislike Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (though it's one my favourites)
but it's something else entirely if the dissenting opinion comes from Nicholas Sparks.


"Cormac McCarthy? "Horrible," he says, looking at Blood Meridian. "This is probably the most pulpy, overwrought, melodramatic cowboy vs. Indians story ever written."

Even hearing a passage about a sunset in which "the mountains in their blue islands stood footless in the void like floating temples" doesn't sway him.


Sparks' favorite tale of youth? "I think A Walk to Remember," he says, citing his own novel. "That's my version of a coming-of-age." He pauses and adds: "You have to sayTo Kill a Mockingbird is an all-time classic."

Any he thinks are overrated?

"I don't like to say bad things about others."

Except McCarthy? "He deserves it," Spark says with a laugh.

Asked what he likes in his own genre, Sparks replies: "There are no authors in my genre. No one is doing what I do."

At least he's got a healthy ego.

David

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails