Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Regrets, I've had a few

Every year for as long as I've been in the trade, there are books that I wanted to get to but didn't and whole sections of the shop that best intentions didn't help with.
I rarely read enough poetry, literary biography or criticism, but I only really feel bad about the poetry.
There are always novels/short fiction that I don't get to and by the time I do, there's a hundred other books in line. It's a poor excuse to say there's never enough time; I don't put much stock in movies, old tube or Youtube.
I do like this and this, though.
I rarely give anything more than twenty pages if it's not working. The old rule of thumb was about fifty, but you know..getting older, so it's not like I take up time with books that aren't making it for me.
Therefore, there are only a few books that I gave up on too early this year
Ander Monson's Other Electricities is a book that bloggers everywhere raved about. I knew it was going to be good, but I didn't finish it. I will in early 2007. There's a new book out in a couple months apparently.
I will make some time for Kate Atkinson's Case Histories. Again, I gave up on it early, and I must have missed something. The book and the sequel are still getting good attention and I only reluctantly put Case Histories aside.
I should have read Barack Obama as well as Michael Pollan's book. Didn't get there, but I will.
For now, it's all about getting through the next few days, where predictions are at best, pointless.

Posted by Dave

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails