Sunday, March 04, 2007

Joan Didion talks process...

and does it like no one else. Here's the evidence.
"I have no clear memory of when the notion of making a play took hold, but it was sometime in October 2005. My daughter had died in August, and my sense of the season that followed remains what she would have called, at a point when she was recovering from brain surgery, “mudgy.” Early that October, when Scott Rudin asked if I would consider doing “The Year of Magical Thinking” as a play, I was negative, even vehemently so. I had devised a narrow track on which to get through the fall. The book, an account of the year that followed the death of my husband, was just published. I had promotion ahead, flights, 5 a.m. pickups, Starbucks cappuccino at the gate in lieu of breakfast, Boston, Dallas, Minneapolis, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Miami, Toronto, check in, check out, stay on track. I did not want to write a play. I had never wanted to write a play. I did not know how to write a play."
Clearly there's nothing she can't do.
Limited engagement on Mar. 6, via the official site

Posted by Dave

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails